Friday, August 15, 2008

Spread It Around

I like spreads. Dips. Schmears. Whatever you like to call them. With crackers or chips or vegs. Hot or cold. They are great to have on hand for unexpected company, or just when you want a nosh. But what I don't like is paying big money for them. Especially if I can re-create them at home.

So, when I found this recipe, I was elated. Usually this cheese spread is imported from France, and you end up paying at least a couple of fingers for it, if not an arm! Besides that, it keeps in the fridge like forever and I don't think I have come across one person that does not like it, except picky DS, and I am not counting him as he doesn't like anything with cream cheese in it except cheesecake.

Smooth, creamy, bursting with flavor, buttery . . . what more could you ask for?

Homemade Boursin

2 garlic cloves
1 stick butter, softened
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff, and freshly-grated)
1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon chives
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Crush garlic. Mix cheeses, butter and garlic. Add remaining ingredients, mix well.
Pack into a container just large enough to hold the boursin and store in refrigerator. To serve, bring to room temperature.




Ok, I admit, I shamelessly lifted this one from Recipezaar. Evelyn in Athens originally posted it and Wow, it is fantastic!

8 comments:

chris said...

I love Boursin too Raquel!! I have seen this recipe too but never made it, because I would eat the whole thing myself. I only buy it if I have company coming to help me eat it.

Tracy said...

Oh, this looks delish! I love dips too...Thanks, Raquel! Happy weekend ((HUGS))

Nic said...

It looks fantastic - yum!

Jennifer said...

Ok that is my #1 favorite cheese, when it is on sale I buy 4 of em! I so love this re-creation, good job!

Jan said...

I must try this, I love boursin. Thanks Raquel. Have a great weekend, love and hugs, Jan.

Kimberly said...

I'll bring over the crackers and the tea! Yum! I love Boursin, but it is quite pricey, isn't it? I have a homemade recipe I make on occasiion as well.
Thanks for all your sweet comments. Do drop in again soon.

Susan Morris said...

Oh yum Raquel. I love boursin too....I mean what's there not to like?
Thanks for posting this recipe, this is a keeper.

Marie Rayner said...

I love boursin cheese as well. I have seen this recipe on zaar but never tried it. On your say so and after seeing that delicious picture I now will! I mean, homemade has to be infinitely better than store bought, right?