Monday, August 4, 2008

Happy Monday!

Well, it is definitely Summer here! We had 108F on Saturday and are expecting 110 today. With about 90% humidity. Ugh!

As for myself, I would prefer to live up north, where it gets 85-90 for a high and then cools down at night. I like cooler temperatures. Heat just makes me cranky!

We have been doing some crockpot cooking, which is nice, but every once in a while . . . I like to make something on top of the stove. We had ham the other night and I was looking for a different side dish . . .

Here is what I came up with:

Corn Fritters
Serves 4

Note: These are a savory corn fritter, you can make sweeter ones, I will post about that in the winter! Those will be out of my Nero Wolfe Cookbook - that man knew all about eating!

11 ounce can of corn, drained
1 small onion, minced
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt (I used hickory smoked)
1 egg
Fresh ground black pepper
4 Tablespoons cooking oil

Buzz corn in the blender a few seconds. Stir everything together except oil. Heat oil and drop mixture by a heaping spoonfull. Spread it out a bit. Fry about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.



You could add some jalapeno to these . . . or maybe some cheese . . .some ground coriander or cumin . . . Maybe use some zucchini . . . there are a lot of possibilities here.

I served these with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce - Wow, what a taste-a-pooloza!

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, I want me some of them. I had actually been thinking of making corn fritters this week Raquel! THose look mighty tasty!