Thursday, August 7, 2008

Red Onion . . . Marmelade?

Yes, Red Onion Marmelade! I have been intrigued with making some red onion jam/marmelade ever since I read about it in a book by Diane Mott Davidson - Sticks and Scones. It is a murder mystery involving Goldy Schultz, a caterer. Takes place in a castle, very intriguing book!

Last year, I made some and froze it - I do not recommend that way of preserving it, the onions go very mushy. Although, it works wonders for French Onion Soup!

So this year, I came across a brilliant recipe, very easy and I made it.

Red Onion Marmelade

I believe I got 5 half-pints out of this.

1 orange
3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onions
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (85 ml) envelope liquid pectin

With vegetable peeler, peel rind from orange in long strips. Scrape off white pith from rind; slice rind lengthwise into paper-thin strips. Set aside. In large saucepan, bring orange strips, sugar, onion, vinegar and salt to boil; boil for 1 minute. Stir in liquid pectin, mixing well. Remove from heat.

Using slotted spoon, divide onion and orange rind among three 1-cup (250 mL) hot canning jars. Pour in liquid, leaving 1/4-inch (5 mm) headspace. Cover with prepared lids; screw on bands fingertip tight. Boil in boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Let jars stand on rack until cool. Store in cool dark place for up to 1 year.

Variation: Pepper and Red Onion Marmalade: Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper or hot red pepper flakes.




It is a very lovely color, so pretty, this picture does not do it justice! This is great on sandwiches, over top of cream cheese with crackers, or try it when making chicken salad, mix with a little mayo . . .

Next week will be almond syrup - can be used a myriad of ways - try making an italian soda with it!

7 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

My husband would love this! I haven't made any jelly in years but I think I'd like to try this. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Blessings, marlene

Marie Rayner said...

That looks really good Raquel. I bet it would be extra good with the hot pepper flakes. The almond syrup sounds fabulous too. I can't wait!

Tracy said...

Delicious, Raquel...I love red onion anything! And must say, love the new, pretty look here! Happy weekend ((HUGS))

Nic said...

Sounds really good!

Susan Morris said...

Love the new look Raquel. Your marmalade sounds interesting.

chris said...

I like the look of that recipe Raquel, will defintely give it a try....
Chris

Anonymous said...

This is a great one, thankyou, I do love your blog thankyou