Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Luna Moth Jelly

No, not really. But it has the same color as a luna moth. There are some things in this world that the color is just kind of indefinable. So this recipe has been dubbed luna moth jelly. For the color, I assure you, not the ingredients.

I would imagine that you could put this in all sorts of things.

Lime Jelly
Makes about 5-6 half-pint jars

2 1/2 cups prepared lime juice (6 to 8 limes)
4 cups sugar
1 drop green food coloring
1 (3 ounce) envelope liquid pectin

Grate the peel of 5 of the limes; set aside. Squeeze enough juice from 6 to 8 of the limes to measure 3/4 cup; pour juice into medium bowl. Add lime peel and 1-3/4 cups water; mix well. Place three layers of damp cheesecloth over a medium bowl. Pour juice mixture into cheesecloth. Tie it closed and let drip into bowl until dripping stops, about 10-15 minutes. Press gently. Measure exactly 2-1/2 cups prepared juice into a 6-quart pan.

Stir sugar into the juice in the pan. Add food coloring if desired (this is what gives it that color - but only 1 drop).

Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute. Skim off any foam.

Ladle into jars, seal and process 8 minutes in boiling water bath.

This recipe was originally posted by Kathy228 on Recipezaar.

Voila - you have beautiful jelly!

Photobucket

This picture really does not do it justice, it kind of, I don't know, glows!

Sorry for the short post today, I am rushing!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

This looks yummy, that reminds me it is berry season around here and I better get to making my jam! that color is amzing! Only one being could create that color for sure! GOD!

Marie Rayner said...

I really miss making pickles and preserves. We just don't get the jars over here and it's all done differently. I just can't get the hang of it, nor do I have a source for all the fruits and veggies needed. Buying stuff in the grocery store is just too expensive! That jelly looks lovely and green and glowing!

Angie said...

By the date of this comment you'll maybe guess I'm just catching up! This jelly LOOKS wonderful. The ingredients SOUND wonderful. I can almost smell it from here. It's just the name..........!
love, Angie, xx

test it comm said...

That lime jelly looks nice and green!