Monday, June 9, 2008

Apology Chops

I am supremely sorry that I have been MIA for a few days. We have had a lot of company, very busy, and I have not been feeling well. I have a migraine today, in fact. We have had rain, rain and more rain. Yickky weather. Humid as all get out. In fact, since last night, we have gotten 2-1/4 inches of rain. On top of whatever we got last week, which I know was in excess of 3 inches. Ah well, enough of my grousing.

My mother and I have a running arguement. She says that fruit does not belong in the same bite with meat. I disagree. I love trying new tastes. I like chutney. I like ham with cherry sauce. Or raisin sauce. In fact, chicken and pork both seem to have a special affinity for fruit sauces.

Today, therefore, I am giving you a recipe for orange pork chops!

I promise that I will have pics up later, just too bleh feeling right now.

Orange Pork Chops

4 bone-in pork chops
paprika
black pepper
3/4 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons sugar
6 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup water

Sprinkle chops on each side with paprika and pepper. Brown on both sides in non-stick skillet. Combine juice, sugar, cloves and zest and pour over chops. Simmer over low heat for 18-22 minutes. Remove chops from skillet. Remove cloves. Mix flour and water and stir into juice mixture in skillet. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil. It will thicken a bit, but not a lot.

Serve sauce over chops. This is very nice with long-grain and wild rice and broccoli. Or with some snow peas sauteed with mushrooms.

6 comments:

Jan said...

I will have to give those a go - they sound yummy!

Marie Rayner said...

Sounds good Raquel. Fruit goes very well with meat actually. You can't beat a good chutney can you? I love lemon chicken and what would a nice roast lamb be without some cumberland sauce to go along with it! Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Jan said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling yucky, Raquel.

The weather here has been horrid too. The lake that formed in our garden has just about subsided after 18 hours of storms and torrential rain. This afternoon it's back to being hot and humid again.

Recipe sounds good though, I will have to give it a try. I agree that pork and chicken really lend themselves to fruit. We're having chicken, bacon and pineapple kebabs tonight.

test it comm said...

Orange pork chops sound good.

Susan Morris said...

I really like meat and fruit together, not something I thought I would ever make but they just marry well.
Your pork chop recipe sounds delish and I will save it for future reference.

Angie said...

Pork and poultry are specially good for eating with fruit sauces. My BiL in Canada laughs at us in England eating Cranberry Sauce with turkey. He calls it cranberry jam and eats it on bread.
love, Angie, xx