Monday, June 16, 2008

Better Late than Never!

Sorry I was MIA, I did enjoy the day Saturday, went to Farmer's Market and got some very nice fresh dill, some green onions, tomatoes!!, a plant for my mother and some very hot radishes. It has been so wet and rainy here that it is a wonder that anyone has any crops at all.

Last night, though, coming out of church, God reaffirmed his covenat with us. There was the most beautiful full rainbow in the sky. I tried to get a picture, but it faded too quickly.

So now, onto the recipe! I made homemade pizza Friday night. MMMMMMmmmmm, good. Homemade crust, homemade sauce. We have recently discovered whole-wheat crust. It gives the pizza an undefinable flavor boost. It is crispy-chewy, just like I like it. Made in the bread machine, it is a snap. So without further ado . . .

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Makes 2 (12 inch) thin crusts (1 lb.)

1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons oil
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon active dry yeast

Bung it all in your bread maker (in order given) and turn it on for dough cycle. Then go prop your feet up and read a book while it does all the hard work.

Divide the dough in half and place on 12-inch pizza pans, raising edges. I sprinkle each pan with some cornmeal first. Generously prick dough with a fork. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to turn light golden brown. Remove from oven, add toppings and return to oven to bake an additional 15-20 minutes.

Voila, you are done, homemade pizza! I think it is the pre-baking that I love. I think that you could take it out after the prebaking, cool it and freeze it, then pull it out, top it and bake it for about 25 minutes.

Sorry no picture, the horde of ravenous locusts descended before I could get the camera going!

2 comments:

Angela said...

I will certainly try this recipe, pizza is one of the things I want to perfect. What's your favourite sauce recipe? Looking forward to cookie mania, I am soooo rubbish at cookies, they will be next on my hit list!

Jan said...

Thanks for the pizza dough recipe, Raquel. Looks like I'll have to buy a bread maker now. :-)