Tuesday, July 8, 2008

If these stairs could talk . . . .

How often have we heard that expression? If these walls could talk, what stories they would have to tell! On vacation this past week, we stayed in the house where my grandmother and 4 of her brothers and sisters were born. We estimated the house must be at least 100 years old. It is out in the middle of nowhere, probably at least 7 miles off a minor highway, on an old gravel/sand road. My grandmother had one sister and 4 brothers. Of these children, 3 of the boys never married. One of them was born in this house, lived in this house all of his life, and died in the house. Wow! Don't hear of that much anymore!

What I found most amazing I think, was the stairs in this house! They are very narrow and actually have grooves worn in the steps from countless feet going up and down them! It sent goosey-shivers up my spine when I first saw them. I wish I had a dime for every time someone went up or down them - I believe I could go on vacation with that money!

Sorry about this picture, not sure if you can see what I mean, but Photobucket is being stupid.

Photobucket

We have determined that the stairs were actually added later, as they go across a window! It gave me just a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that I was sleeping in that house where SO much history was!

We had a great time, the food was wonderful! One of my cousins works at an Ore-Ida plant, so he fried onion rings, potato planks, mozzarella sticks, brownie bites . . . We had hamburgers on the grill, watermelon and I made some Pasta Salad.

Pasta Salad

Serves at least 12

1 lb. dried pasta (I used penne)
Water to cook pasta
1 can sliced black olives
1 green pepper, sliced
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or whatever your preference is)
1 small package sliced pepperoni
1 bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing

Cook pasta until al dente in boiling water. Drain, but do not rinse. Put pasta in large bowl and add all but cheese and pepperoni. Pour over 1/2 bottle of dressing and mix well. Let sit until cool. Add in cheese and pepperoni, mix well. It may seem a little dry and if so, add in some more dressing. Pop it in the fridge for a few hours. Before serving take out and stir. Add the rest of the bottle of dressing. Serve forth.

Now, I usually add in some broccoli and cauliflower, maybe some sliced raw zucchini. You can use whatever veggies you like, whatever cheese (I like a combination of parmesan, sharp cheddar and mozzarella) and whatever kind of meat, ham or what have you.

No pictures, I think this was gone within about 15 minutes of my putting it out.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love those stairs, what a wonderful thing! Fried anything I am there!

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, I wish those stairs could talk too Raquel! I bet they'd have lots of stories to tell. You are a gal after my own heart! XXOO

Jan said...

Very interesting post Raquel. Love the sound of the pasta salad too.

Anonymous said...

Those stairs look scary! just kidding. Pasta Salad Recipe sounds good, we might try it!

Jan said...

Sounds like you had a great time, Raquel. Your pasta salad sounds good too.

BTW, I've given you an award, but you'll have to visit my blog to pick it up. :-)