Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Taco-Tator Casserole

Sometimes we get too busy. Too busy to appreciate the blessing of family.

I know I do at times. Working a 40-hour a week job, working in the house, cooking and cleaning, giving time to my son and my fiance. Sometimes I feel there is no time for me.

But then I think - how lonely would I be if it were just me? No family around?

My middle brother has been working here in town doing some yardwork to make some extra money. He comes over in the afternoons after working his regular job and brings his wife and her 8 year old granddaughter. Sometimes, it drives me crazy, as I have to work some evenings. Today, I just decided to let it go. And I thanked God for the blessing of having family close.

I made this casserole with a fresh salad for supper. Turned out great. Nice and restful. God knows what we need!

Taco Tator Casserole
Serves a bunch!

2 pounds ground beef
1/4 to 1/2 cup onion, chopped
2/3 cup water
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can nacho cheese soup, undiluted
1 can corn, drained
grated cheddar cheese
1 bag tator tots

Brown ground beef in skillet with onion. Drain fat off. (I usually put it in a colander and run hot, hot water over it.) Add water and taco seasoning and simmer for a bit. Add corn and soup, mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan. Top with grated cheddar cheese if desired (this was my addition, not in original recipe). Top that with tator tots and bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with a fresh salad. I think this would be good with some black olives sliced into the soup mixture, and some extra peppers.



It is always good to toss your tots with a little olive oil - makes them crispier!

2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I've always loved tater tot casserole. I just plain love tater tots full stop! Your mexican version sounds delish!

Jan said...

Sounds great, the perfect comfort food after a trying day. I love tater tots. Love and hugs.