Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook - a day late!



FOR TODAY (March 31, 2009)...

Outside my window... a cold, blustery spring wind whisks playfully around the corners of the house, setting the daffy-down-dillys a' nodding and daring the Bradford pear trees to hang onto their beautiful blossoms.

I am thinking... that I am SOOOOOOOOO glad that my co-worker will be back tomorrow. I enjoy getting up early, but I don't believe working at 6 AM is for me!

I am thankful for... Peace and contentment in my heart.

From the learning rooms...attempting to learn to knit. This may take a while.

From the kitchen... Sausage stew and biscuits. Peanut butter cookies.

I am wearing... black skirt, pink housieslippers, blue striped turtleneck.

I am creating... a shopping list for later in April when I go to Columbia.

I am going...to be off on Friday!!

I am reading... The Hidden Art of Homemaking.

I am hoping... that I will get over feeling so old - my baby turned 20 yesterday!

I am hearing... the fan on my little ceramic heater taking the chill off the house.

Around the house... laundry, vacuuming, clean the shower.

One of my favorite things...is our local thrift store. Never know what you are going to find!

A few plans for the rest of the week: working Wednesday and Thursday, off Friday - taking a good friend who has been going thru quite a trial out to lunch and to the local Amish store to poke around.

Here is picture thought I am sharing... Flowers from last year's garden






apologize for being gone so long, just busy with this, that and the other and have been spending quality time with my honey.

I am leaving you with a quickie recipe

Sausage Stew

1 lb smoked sausage or Polska Kielbasa, thickly sliced
1 onion, cut in wedges
1-2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 medium potatoes (I like Yukon Gold) peeled and diced
Frozen green beans, a cup or so
water
Cream of Mushroom soup, I used the 40% more cans of Campbells or could use 2 smaller cans
1 can mushrooms, drained
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Spray a deep skillet (what I call a chicken fryer) with cooking spray or put in a small amount of olive oil. Over medium heat, stir fry vegs for a few minutes. Throw in sausage. Pour in water - how much you use is your preference, this can be as thin or thick as you like. For the bigger can of soup, I used not quite 2 cups of water - remember your vegs will absorb some of it. Cover skillet - if you don't have a lid (I don't) - just take a piece of foil and snug it down on top. Turn your heat down and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes or so. Uncover, stir in soup, mushrooms and pepper. Heat thru. Serve with crusty bread and butter and a nice green salad. This is nice and hearty for a cold spring evening.

You can mix and match vegs in this - frozen mixed vegs work well. Use more or less sausage to your preference.

Sorry, no pics, this was snarfed up in a minit!

I will try to do better, should be easier now that the weather has quit being quite so schizophrenic and my work schedule is back to normal!

Much love - Raquel

5 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Always love your day book entries Raquel. It's been rather quiet in the forum lately. I don't know what's up with that. I remember from last year what a beautiful garden you had. I can't wait to see what you accomplish in it this year in your new home! My baby is 20 too, which doesn't make me feel half as old as knowing my oldest will be turning 34 in May! Now, that . . . definitely makes you feel old!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad I found you again! My new blog is www.aduckinherpond.com

Jaime said...

Gorgeous Flowers... Wow... I surely wish my desert hikes would show me some wonders like those. Unfortunately my flowers are weeds - still pretty - but still weeds... Thank you for sharing a wonderful recipe as well. I really hope you enjoy your week. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us all. I enjoy reading a small part of what your daily life is like. Many happy thoughts your way. ... Jaime

Domestically Inclined said...

Nice pictures Raquel! Stop by and see who the winner of the spring giveaway is. (hugs)

Kimberly said...

Fun! I love the hydrangea!